Last Updated: November 17, 2015 at 1:07 pm
Idly and Sambar is the best breakfast combo I ever tasted in my life so far though there are many other combos available. Replacing sambar with some other curries is out of my imagination since I am not a fan of coconut dishes. Coconut chutney is also used along with Idly at home. My continuous search to find a good substitute for the coconut chutney made me to do some alterations in one of my favourite recipes, tomato fry, and there came this cute chutney. I love this chutney very much due two simple reasons – very few ingredients and very little preparation time.
- Onion – 3 big, thinly sliced
- Tomato ripen – 3 equally big, sliced
- Ginger – 1” piece, crushed and coarsely chopped
- Garlic – 10-12 flakes, chopped
- Curry leaves – few
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tbsp (adjustable) /5-6 dried red chilly
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Heat oil in a pan and saute’ ginger-garlic for few seconds and add thinly sliced onion with a pinch of salt and fry for 3-4 mins over medium heat
- Now add thinly sliced tomatoes and curry leaves, fry over medium heat until tomatoes are done well
- Stir in chilly powder and combine well and turn off the heat, let it cool to the room temperature.
- If you are using dried red chilly, add it along with the onion sliced
When it is cooled, grind all the ingredients together in a blender with boiled and cooled water to a smooth paste. If you like the tidbits of ginger-garlic, grind it to a coarse paste. Your chutney is ready and it is an ideal side dish for dosa/idly.
Tomato-Onion chutney is an ideal spread for the bread. It tastes the best when it is sandwiched between the bread slices…. enjoy your chutney….
Recently Updated Posts
- Kozhi Pidi ( February 23, 2018)
- Chicken Roast – Indian Style ( February 23, 2018)
- Roadtrip – Mysore to Coorg / Madikeri / Kodagu ( February 23, 2018)
- Trip to Heritage Wine Resort ( February 23, 2018)
- Breakfast and Lunch at Thotada Mane – Srirangapatna ( February 22, 2018)
- Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary – Srirangapatna near Mysore ( February 22, 2018)