Chicken Biryani is a very popular dish in India and around the world. There are a wide varieties of Chicken Biryani made with different spices, method of preparations and even ingredients depending upon the culture, state and taste. There are spicy chicken biriyani, Andhra Style, Dum Biriyani, Hyderabadi Biriyani and so on. Chicken Biryani is sometimes made in cooker, sometimes baked or there is something call Dum Hyderabadi Biriyani and also there is something called Simple Chicken Biryani which is easy fast and not complicated.
Simple Chicken Biryani – Easy and fast
I am not good at cooking rice items. Still i have to cook these type of items since my daughter likes. All types of non-vegetarian biriyani and fried rice are her favourites.
Ingredients – Simple Chicken Biryani
- Chicken – 750 gms
- Onion – 2 (big- finely sliced)
- Green Chilly – 5 to 6
- Mint leaves – 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 4 tbsp
- Garlic – 10 pieces
- Ginger – 1 ” piece
- Cinnamon stick – 1′ piece
- Clove – 4
- Fennel seeds/ saunf – 1 tsp
- Coconut scraped – 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 pieces
- Coriander powder – 11/2 tbsp
- Cooking oil – 2 tbsp
- Rice – 1/2 kg
- Ghee – 50 gms
- Cashew nuts – 50 gms
- Raisins – 50 gms
- Finely sliced onion – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
How to Prepare – Simple Chicken Biryani
- Wash and soak rice for half an hour
- Cut chicken into 10 pieces, wash and strain using a colander
- Make a fine paste of mint leaves, coriander leaves, green chillies, ginger, garlic, coriander powder, cinnamon, clove and fennel seeds
- Make a fine paste of coconut and cashew nuts
- Cook rice until it is 75% cooked with salt and little oil, drain and spread on a wide plate or on a sheet of cloth
- Heat oil in a wok or kadai, fry onion with little salt until it turns brown
- Add whole spice paste and fry till the raw smell disappears
- Next chicken pieces and stir for 5 mins until the chicken pieces are covered well with the masala
- Add coconut paste and 1/2 cup water, cover and cook on medium heat for 15 mins
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry cashew nuts, raisins and onion, strain and keep aside
- Add little turmeric powder or yellow food colour to the left over ghee, add the cooked rice and mix well, and keep aside
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan or pot, spread one layer of rice and pour the chicken gravy with half of the chicken pieces, and top up with the fried onion, cashew nuts and raisins again repeat the same until the rice is over.
- Cover with a tight lid, cook for 10 mins on a low flame
- Remove from fire and mix well, serve hot with raitha, pappad and pickle.
This is a very simple Chicken Biryani, easy to make, less time and not complicated.