Ethakka Upperi/ Banana chips is one of the crisp items served in any Kerala feast on the bottom left of the narrow part of the plantain leaf along with Sharkkara Upperi/ Sarkkara Varatty. Without this a traditional Onam Sadhya remain incomplete. Now a days, we can get these items from shops but for me it is a ritual to prepare Ethakka Upperi and Sharkkara Upperi at home. But this time, I couldn’t get raw banana as usual but I tried this Upperi with slightly ripen banana. Since it is not raw, I didn’t add salt to it. Try this and you will definitely like it.
- Banana – 500 gm (slightly ripen)
- Coconut oil to fry (any other cooking oil is fine)
Method Of Preparation:
- Remove the banana peel, wash the banana in enough water and wipe the banana with a paper towel to remove the excess water
- Slice the banana in round shape and keep aside (if you are an expert, you can slice banana directly to the heated oil)
- Heat oil in a pan and fry few pieces at a times at a medium heat until the bubbles subside
- Spread it on a kitchen towel and store it in a air tight container.
Your Ethakka Upperi is ready to serve.