Last Updated: March 7, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is one of the must visit place if you are traveling in or around Mysore. Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is also know as the Pakshi Kashi of Karnataka and the person who convinced the King of Mysore Kantirava Wadiyaar to develop this place was a ornithologist Dr Salim Ali in the year 1940
- 1 Type of Birds at Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
- 2 Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary Timings, Ticket / Entrance Fees
- 3 Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary Images
- 4 Resorts / Hotels Nearby Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
- 5 Distance from Bangalore and Mysore to Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
- 6 Video of Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
- 7 Over all Experience at the Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
Type of Birds at Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
There are about 200 species of birds found at this bird sanctuary from about 8 countries.
- Indian Peafowl
- Large Green or Brown Headed Barbet
- Common Hoopoe
- Common Kingfisher
- Stork Billed Kingfisher
- White Breaseted Kingfisher
- Pied Kingfisher
- Small gree Bee Eater
- Asian Koel
- Spotted Owlet
- Spotted Dove
- White Breasted Waterhen
- Common Sandpiper
- Red Wattled Lapwing
- Great Stone Plover
- Indian River Tern
- Black Winged Kite
- Brahaminy Kite
- Grey Headed Fishing Eagle
- Eurasian Marsh harrier
- Littel Cormorant
- Little / Large / Great Egret
- Cattle Egret
- Purple / Grey Heron
- Open Billed Stork
- Indian Myna
- And more ….
Other than birds you can find bonnet macaque, mongoose, civet, bat and crocodiles here.
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary Timings, Ticket / Entrance Fees
Open between 8am to 6pm on all days. The best time to visit this place is between January and July. During October – November, this place is closed if there are heavy rain and the water is released from the KRS Dam.
Rs 70 for Adults, Rs 10 for Kids, Rs 50 for Parking. If you have a normal camera, then you do not have to pay, but a SLR camera there are charges.
Rs 70 per person, Rs 1500 for personal boat, you can go alone if you hire a personal boat, maximum allowed on a personal boat are 4 people. For foreigners, the charges are more than double.
You should not miss the boating if you go Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary. You can see the birds at a very nearby distance.
Best time for boating
The best time suggested by a guide there was to come at around 5pm and do the boating till 6 pm, you will get to see all kinds of birds and the view would be an experience of lifetime.
Suggested Reading – Roadtrip – Mysore to Coorg / Madikeri / Kodagu
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary Images
Resorts / Hotels Nearby Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
There are some good resorts nearby the bird Sanctuary. There is a property at KSTDC’s Mayura Riverside Cottages in Srirangapatna which has 20 rooms. As this place is very near to Mysore, you have a good option to stay at any place in Mysore.
Good Place to have Vegetarian food near this place is Thotada Mane Restaurant
Distance from Bangalore and Mysore to Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
From Mysore 16kms and from Bangalore around 140kms. You can come to Srirangapatan by train if you are coming from Bangalore or by road is a good option.
Video of Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
Over all Experience at the Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
You will experience a very calm and cool environment as soon as you enter the gates of this wonderful Bird Sanctuary. The place is very clean, well maintained, basic facilities like toilets, drinking water, restaurants are available. You are not allowed to carry any plastic products, you need to maintain silence.
Kaveri Trail Track near Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
This is a place where KTM happens every year and this has been happening for the past 10 years now. Nice place to practice marathon close to the nature, away from pollution
Check out the Noel Home Farm Stay in the Video
Recently Updated Posts
- Trip to Delhi / Chandigarh / Manali / Agra ( March 20, 2018)
- Resorts in the Maldives – Check these out before you come to Maldives ( March 16, 2018)
- Indian Restaurants in Maldives ( March 12, 2018)
- Low Budget Holidays in the Maldives – Guest houses at Hulhumale’ ( March 12, 2018)
- The Manhattan Fish Market – Hulhumale’ Maldives ( March 11, 2018)
- Roadtrip – Mysore to Coorg / Madikeri / Kodagu ( March 9, 2018)